Monday, November 12, 2007

Turning to the Masses

There's something genuinely fun about having an online shop. Creating things and watching as people choose them as a favorite item. But there's also something to be said about making money.

I said that I would sell shirts to perpetuate my hobby. If I sold some shirts online, great, I'd be able to keep making shirts for myself and hopefully sell a couple of those too. It would be an endless cycle. I think my cycle needs a little oil.

Sam and I threw some ideas around with my parents and between ourselves and we've come up with some solid ideas.

My mom works in an elementary school back home, and she's tired of the same old T-Shirts every year with the same old eagle head and the same old text. She wants us to create some new, fresh ideas and propose them to the student body. It's win win - we get business and the kids get quality shirts that are not only unique, but handmade. Okay, so a 3rd grader might not appreciate that, but when they're still wearing that shirt their Senior year, they'll all be talking about how awesome that shirt is.

Next idea: Green Beer Day. It's something of a tradition around here. In fact, its a way of life for many Miami University students. The Thursday before spring break, the bars open at 5:30AM with a seemingly unlimited supply of Green colored beer, and the student body does its damnedest to make sure all that beer is gone by closing time Friday morning. And what happens to be almost as important as the beer on Green Beer Day? Why, Green Beer Day T-shirts, of course. Shirts are the probably the only way anyone can remember having participated in Green Beer Day.
So I've created my design. It's pseudo-pirate themed, because a ninja theme doesn't seem as concrete. I e-mailed it out to my only friend who has a friend other than me. He's the proud owner of a fraternity tattoo and a broken liver. I figure if he likes it, we're golden.

Wait and see appears to be the game. I've never really been good at games.

No comments: