Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Custom woes

Had our second custom order request today. Someone is interested in a set of our curtains. I love custom orders, I think its a great part of Etsy. There's plenty of times that I've found something I like in a store and wished it was a different color, a size smaller, or made just slightly different. Our first custom was easy - a Wittenberg on a girl's shirt. That is to say it was easy after I found the shirt, which wasn't easy. (Who knew girls shirts are so hard to buy?)

This order is great. A set of curtains, that means I can actually make some money off of them, use that gigantic screen I made, and have a challenge. The only problem is it might be too much of a challenge. They want royal blue curtains and a white chandelier. Unfortunately my Speedball ink is running low in white, I've never seen a large jar of white for sale because no one sells ink and Speedball isn't that great when it comes to opacity. So there's a chance I do the whole production and use what little ink I have left and then turns out that you can see the blue through it in spots.

Maybe I can talk to Matt (a guy I took some classes with who turns out to be a screen printer and he's done more experimenting with ink than I have) and find a nice opaque white ink.

The worst part: I've been just waiting for someone to express some interest in these curtains, and now that I've got it I feel like it would be too much work.

Which doesn't bode well for doing the production runs its going to take to make over 2 thousand dollars worth of merchandise if we get accepted into the art fair in Cleveland. Eeek!

Pic unrelated. A possible idea for a wall graphic. Another one of those things I thought was funny when I made it and now I'm not so sure about. I do smile when I think about slapping one of these next to an elevator on the sly. I love the idea of people walking by it every day and never noticing.

No comments: