Thursday, November 29, 2007

Keep your head up

I'm trying to keep my head about me, but I'm pretty damn excited. Our new designs have taken off like a rocket ship. We put our Edgar Allan Poe, Antique Sewing Machine, Illustrated Bird and Head Case shirts online and the response has been overwhelmingly positive.

The views on those shirts has gone up steadily and quickly, landing us with nearly 100 in a day on the Illustrated Bird shirt. The thing is no one had a chance to heart it because it sold so quickly. Within 24 hours of placing the shirt online we sold 3. It's fantastic, our best day on record and just the moral boost I needed.

I hit the forums hard the last few days, promoting and posting in every forum category and shootin the breeze with the good people of Etsy. And I'm thinking that it paid off. Not only did I get some decent advice on where to go to ship a large package and get to demonstrate a little of my scientific knowledge, but we got a lot of exposure and it translated directly into sales.

So here's an image of the newest design, Head Case. Probably one of the most detailed and nicest looking images I've printed to date. Actually this isn't as detailed as the original because the mesh I use to custom make my screens has too large of a gauge to hold onto the really fine lines around the mouth, but I compared the shirt print to the original and I like the shirt better. It's cleaner and doesn't look quite so creepy with all the muscle texture the original image had.

I'm just really excited right now. Who ever thought that all of this would come out of a simple thought many years ago. "I wish I could make my own shirts." And years later I discover the art of screen printing, decide to not just let this be one of the things I think about but never do. Now I'm not only doing it, but it's paying for itself, which means I can keep doing it!

The moral of the story: follow your dreams. Or something like that.