Sunday, December 7, 2008

A Portrait of Liberty

Weekends are lovely, in case you haven't noticed. I'm indulging myself with lazing around right now. If you haven't tried it this weekend, there are still a few hours left. Hop to it.

Today is Samantha's exhibition. Her class spent the semester in Liberty, Indiana taking pictures to create narratives about this small town just over the Ohio border. They are showing their work off today and the prints will be for sale. There are rumors that a few of Sam's pictures are already being eyed by a potential buyer.

She worked really hard this semester, standing out in the bitter cold. I'm not joking, I went with her a few times and it was cold.

I'm really proud of her. She spent the entire semester in various studios around campus, either perfecting her art or teaching. It wasn't easy, and sometimes I could tell it was the last thing she wanted to do, but she kept working. It's hard to spend days and days on something creative, only to realize your work is never over. A lot of times I finish something and never want to see it again. But Sam strives to make everything fit her vision, and this semester everything came out beautifully. She creates things I can't comprehend. How does she come up with these ideas? A lot of times I'm around when she does, but it's still amazing to see a vague idea jump from her head to a sticky note, to a sketchbook, to the computer and eventually to the wall of an exhibition.

That's the kind of attitude, the kind of perseverance, that I wish I could learn to maintain. That's the kind of woman I married, and I love everything about her.

Keep up the good work, Tick.

No comments: