Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Goodbyes are for losers

Today marked the end of the best class I've ever taken at Miami: English 320. It was a fiction workshop, and everything you could ask for from that type of class.

It's not often that you can have a room full of people all sharing their writing without anyone blatantly being competitive or trying to make someone else feel bad in an attempt to feed their ego. My last workshop class was like that. There were a handful of people who thought they were the best thing that ever happened to writing (one in particular, the worst of all, happened to write exclusively about getting drunk).

When class was over people lingered around and talked for a few minutes before we all left for our next classes. A few of us decided that we should keep getting together and sharing our writing as a source of inspiration. Like exercise, I need someone around to threaten me. If I'm not watching someone else put forth the effort, there's no way on earth I'll do it on my own.

No comments: