Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Hello out there

Laying in bed, I noticed that Sam was updating her blog, which made me think "Oh, shit, I have a blog."

So here I am.

....how 'bout that weather?

I'm not used to being busy and, let's face it, I'm lazy. So, needless to say, this semester has turned out to be more than I bargained for. I didn't sign up for college to work. Where's the endless party that Hollywood promised? You know, the one full of free beer, drunken frat boys and girls in skirts doing keg stands ?

It's actually across campus and married people aren't invited. Oh well. I did get to play ultimate frisbee this one time, but I kept almost passing out.

So in my endeavor to make college worthwhile by attending classes and doing homework, I spent a bit of time working up a script for my production class. Professor Sholle chose four from the scripts everyone in class turned in, and mine happened to be chosen. Mike and I had this grand plan to work together and make an awesome movie, but his was chosen too.

I've been spending a lot of time getting things together to produce the short, and a lot of time working on a short story for my fiction class. The story is done, or at least I'm sick of it. It's been a solid month of reading and rewriting. I've got the script pretty much squared away, a shot list all worked up, at least 2 actors from the theater department and a tentative shooting schedule for Saturday. Things are coming down to the point of Reckoning. I'm hoping all my work over the past few weeks has prepared me for for shooting the video and to have my story workshopped in class.

It's exciting stuff. I've got the next three years planned out: the short is a huge YouTube hit, which is where Wes Anderson discovers it. We spend the next year working on the screenplay and the theatrical release opens to critical acclaim. Meanwhile, my short story works its way through the hands of various english professors until one, who happens to be good friends with the fiction editor at Esquire, hooks me up with a run in the February issue (the one with Natalie Portman on the cover). That's where Wes Anderson discovers it, and we spend the next year working on the screenplay. The critics are mixed, but it's a runaway blockbuster.

I like to cover all my bases.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

We just watched Darjeeling Limited last night. He ain't got nothin' on you my brotha!

Mark said...

Let's wait until I finish it to go all overboard... but I agree.