Saturday, April 11, 2009

One day, two posts? Both technically the next day? THIS IS MADNESS!

Today, I went to a wedding that had less than 15 people in attendance. I wasn't even aware that was an option, I just assumed you had to invite everyone you knew. It was actually refreshingly simple. No music, no fan fare. Heck, the matron of honor, the mother of the groom and the flowers didn't show up until after everything was over.

The bride hired me to do some videography of the ceremony and the reception. Luckily there were a few photographers, because I was still messing around, trying to figure out what I was going to do when the bride rolled up in a car, hopped out and marched directly down the aisle. They started snapping pictures which served as my cue to turn my camera on. I was still waiting for music...or at least 1 person to sign as witness.

But it actually was really well done. The festivities were at the reception, instead of at the church. There were some great performers, a singer and keyboard player, a good DJ and a fantastic solo lyrical dance. I hope to god that footage turns out because she was great. Also because I got paid and if it doesn't turn out, we've got problems. To those of you who are planning weddings and want them video taped, remember: if there are no lights, there is no film.

I actually had fun. It took a few minutes to get used to the idea of being basically invisible while drawing an inordinate amount of attention to myself. There are two basic reactions to a video camera: a) attempt to play it cool, as if you are unaware of being taped, while smiling a little more than usual, ceasing conversation, and periodically glancing out of the corner of your eye to check if the camera is gone yet; or b) engaging with the camera as if it got you thumbing through your collection of unopened, mint condition Phantom Menace action figures (or some other guilty pleasure). I got more of the former, less of the latter. One lady, when her friend brought me to her attention, immediately stopped dancing and turned to look at me in a way not unlike the dramatic chipmunk.



Everyone seemed to have a good time, and no one got belligerently drunk. I think that should be the mark of a successful wedding: no one getting goners. Drunk, sure, but still sober enough to know the limits of the dollar dance. There are limits. I'm not making this stuff up. I figured they were just understood by all. I've been wrong before...

I'm kind of dreading and looking forward to editing at the same time. It should be interesting, if nothing else. If I had Final Cut at home, I wouldn't care, but having to spend 10 hours in the dark, windowless belly of William's Hall, trying to avoid Steve who specifically told me not to use university equipment to make money... it just wears on one's psyche.

I'll try and put up some snippets for your viewing pleasure in the coming days, or more likely weeks... maybe next month, but definitely by 2010.

1 comment:

Samantha said...

You had never been to a wedding with my family before.