Saturday, February 2, 2008

Do you have a light?


Today was our Valentine's Day celebration with Samantha's family. They came up to Oxford and we ate at Houston Woods and watched the girls play Wii.

They brought a set of iron patio furniture for us and I when I went to help unload it Sam asked if I wanted my Valentine's present. Turns out the day she "had to babysit" for her mother she was really spending the day with her dad building me a lightbox.

Which is awesome, to say the least. This thing is huge and pretty heavy. It's made of really nice wood and a plexiglass top that slides out with the removal of a few screws so you can replace the light bulbs. There are 4 two foot light UV lights and the thing even has an on/off switch.

Needless to say this is way better than my plans for making my own, which would inevitably ended in miles away from my plans and in utter frustration.Oooh. Aaahh

I'm letting a screen dry and then I'm going to test that sucker out. I'm afraid it's going to take some major experimenting to find out the exact exposure time, but after a few tries I should have it all worked out. I'm willing to put in the time because retail these puppies sell for at least 500 dollars, and one of this quality would probably be worth more.

I also printed up shirts for the Freund family, as their Valentine's presents. They all turned out really well. Emma helped with hers (the green robot) and I think she might make a nice little screen printer. Of course, she's good at everything so why am I surprised?


1 comment:

Abbie Road said...

Wow! What a professional looking box! Lucky Valentine!

Did she follow any specific instructions building it? I don't have the $ for a commercial one, and we've been tossing around the idea of making our own, since we usually end up exposing at least 2 screens to just get 1 working the way we want it, and that's getting old, fast!

If she had/has instructions, could you pass on the link? My Bday is coming up so this may be our bday project!
Thanks!
AbbieRoad.etsy.com