Friday, February 22, 2008

Brain annureisms never seemed so fun

We just watched the pilot to Eli Stone. I wish I had known about this show before tonight, because it was one of the best pilots I've seen in quite a while.

It features George Michael's Faith which I'm fairly confident will be stuck in my head for a few days. Just when I thought I might be able to power through without being reminded of the song Sam pointed out that it's in my iTunes. It's a good song too. Let me demonstrate:

Well I guess it would be nice
If I could touch your body
I know not everybody
Has got a body like you

But I've got to think twice
Before I give my heart away
And I know all the games you play
Because I play them too
The show made me feel like doing something. I like it when shows make me feel inspired or whatever. I wish I had something to write about for my first workshop piece in Creative Nonfiction, it's coming up sooner than I'd like to admit and all I have is a few paragraphs sprinkled in a notebook, every one on a different topic. My problem is that I never realize where my writing is going beforehand. I don't set out with a goal other than to write, and I'm often surprised by the insights that seem to come from those rocky outcrops in my brain.

That's not an entirely bad thing, but it does mean that I have to write through an idea in its entirety before any of it seems to make any sense, so expanding all those paragraphs into full pieces will take quite a bit of time and I'm not sure if it's worth all the work if only one of them will turn out. But then again writing isn't supposed to be easy, right? I guess nothing is. And to think this is my plan for the rest of my life... sweet.

I guess I should give up on the idea that some day I'll be "grown up" and things will come to me more easily. I grew like 5 inches last year but I think that's the extent of my physical expansion, and I don't hold out much hope for my mental expansion - that just sounds painful. Plus if my arms get any longer my coat is going to be one of those three quater sleeved baseball shirts, and as good as I looked in those when I was 15, I'm not sure I could pull that off with a wool overcoat.

No comments: