Sunday, January 13, 2008

Tomorrow is another day

On Monday second semester begins. I'm not very excited about next semester. I have this nagging suspicion that it is going to suck. I was accepted into my major program earlier this year, which was a huge moral boost and made me think "Alright, now we're getting somewhere." I was tired of picking classes to fill out a schedule, that weren't really working toward my major because I don't like the idea of cramming the last semester of college with every class I need to get a degree. I didn't want to wait any longer to take the interesting classes I've been trying to get into for the last 3 semesters. Well turns out that being in the major doesn't help much. I still can't get into those classes and will most likely never take most of the ones I wanted to. My only hope may be summer classes, with a 15 person class and a grad student professor. My last summer session experience wasn't that great and culminated with my grad student professor suggesting that I wanted to turn control of Congress over to the Ku Klux Klan. That's what you get when a 26 year old valley girl decides to egotrip all over your Q&A.

This mostly boils down to the Expectation Violation theory, which is kind of like when someone tells you that Spiderman 3 was the OMG-BEST-MOVIE-EVAH!!! and you go to see it and it's crap. If you talk it up, I'm going to expect the best and that most always leads to disappointment. When I came to orientation every person I talked to spoke of this magical "liberal education" where you can take classes that interest you, for pure funsies, and four years later you wake up with a degree and a 6 figure salary. Well turns out you really spend 4 years taking classes like America 101: Why Being a White Middle Class Male Makes you a Horrible Person or Geology 241: Rocks Really are Interesting, We Promise! And when you find what you'd really like to take it's full of other people who somehow have time to take a class they don't need. That's the best part, when the "liberal education" works out the way they say it does, it's working for someone else and they're taking up your spot in the class you need to graduate.

So, like I said, I'm not really excited about next semester. It's a good thing I have a nice home life. I'll seek refuge in T-Shirts, Nintendos and Samantha.

No comments: