Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Radio killed the radio star

The radio around here has been a heaping pile of dissapointment lately. So, once again, I've turned to Pandora Radio for my music fix. 

For those of you who don't know about Pandora it's an online radio station. You create your own "channels" by entering a band, a song or even a genre and Pandora grabs songs that are related to your choice by using perameters set up by the Music Genome Project. Then you have the ability to approve or dissapprove of each song it plays by giving a thumb up or down. This tweeks your station to play only music with a style you like. And, luckily, if you give the same band thumbs down twice, they are banned from ever playing on that station again. I quickly used this ability to kill Nirvana. You also get the ability to ban a certain song from the station for one month, and skip a particular song you don't feel like listening to. Try to get that from 94.9

I've been playing my Modest Mouse station exclusively. My hope was that Pandora would grab some new music I haven't heard and play it for me, which it did a few times. It appears that I have extremely predictable tastes, because after about 2 weeks of various thumbs up and down, I've basically tuned the station to play my iPod. The only difference is that it's playing songs from bands from which I only have a few songs. So I'm getting what I like, but a wider array of what I like. And I like that.

Today's mix thus far:
Modest Mouse- A Different City
Cake - Short Skirt, Long Jacket
The Shins - Mine's Not A High Horse
The White Stripes - Seven Nation Army
Modest Mouse - Never Ending Math Equation
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Y Control
Death Cab for Cutie - Crooked Teeth
Spoon - The Way We Get By
Interpol - Narc
The Shins - Tun On Me
Death Cab for Cutie - Hindsight
The White Stripes - The Hardest Button to Button

See any patterns?

No comments: