Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Whistle While We Work

At work Saturday I helped put up the large metal bridge that extends across the stage in Ohio State Murders. It took about three hours to get the platforms up and bolted together. You can see how we secured each individual piece to the rail system and ran it up, locked it in place and then we worked underneath to bolt on the legs. Rinse and repeat. Needless to say those things were pretty heavy. They also had some sharp edges, which is how I cut a slice through my ring and pinkie finger on my left hand. I also nearly knocked my boss' eye out when the drill caught on the metal and wrenched itself out of my grip, swinging the chuck key a few inches past his head.


The set is huge. A lot more got done after I left on Saturday at about noon thirty. There's a dorm room nearly twice as big as any real dorm room, this bridge, two stair cases leading up to the bridge and a slew of steps, platforms and levels. I'm really interested to see how the choreography works with all of these steps and obstructions. I'm definitely going to try and see more plays this year.
I'll try and get more pictures throughout the construction process to document the evolution of a large-scale set.


Also please note the hardhats... riiiiight about here. The yellow/white/blue hats. Guess who had the honor of creating that lovely helmet holding area? Yours truly.

No comments: